How’s it going? Are you still hanging on to your New Year Resolutions or have you broken them by now? According to statistics 95% of all people who have made New Year Resolutions have already broken them by the 15th of January. But don’t worry, if you really, really deeply wish to follow through and do the changes in your life – it is NEVER too late. You can always change your habits, you can always make a resolution at any time of the year and at any age. You can always learn something new, getting older is no excuse. Do you want to know how ? Then please read these tips to keeping your New Year Resolutions:
Find out WHY you want to make a New Year Resolution
Like Tony Robbins says in his video below, we have to have something that pulls us toward the goal we have set.
Well, if we know why it is so important to live a healthy life, that is really not enough to pull us in that direction. We have to awaken the deep desire inside us, the desire that keeps us going. It’s the desire that helps us follow through.
The year before my husband and I married, I had about 10 pounds overweight, for some people that doesn’t seem much but I was very unhappy with my body. As we decided to marry I saw myself in a beautiful white dress. I really deeply desired to feel and look like a princess on the day of our marriage, wanting to look gorgeous for my future husband. Having that on my mind, I automatically made healthier choices like avoiding sweets, drinking less sweet lemonades and doing exercises at least once or twice a week. On our wedding day I was the happiest person ever and I smiled all day long to that extent that my cheeks hurt for the following 24 hours. I had lost my overweight and could wear the most beautiful dress I had ever seen – so delighted to see the smile of my husband.
Find out WHAT you have to do
You have found out what your deep desire is and you know WHY you really want to change your unhealthy habits to healthier ones.
Now you must find out WHAT exactly you have to do.
Say, you want to lose weight. In this case my advice is as follows:
- First you determine how many pounds you want to lose, then you determine at what date you want to have achieved your goal – it has to be a reasonable goal, which you really believe in.
- Analyse your habits (eating habits, sleeping habits and physical activities) and find out which one you must change. Change the habits one after the other, in the long end you will have a sustainable weightloss.
- Choose one or two habits and concentrate on that one/those two for at least three weeks. One of the best choices to start with is to drink water instead of sweetened drinks and go for a short walk three times a week.
- In the fourth week, only then continue adding another habit you wish to change. Depending on how you respond to the changes and how strong your willpower is, you can add more and more habit changes. But be aware if you do too many changes at once, your willpower will get drained and you will not withstand the temptations to fall back to your old patterns. In the next paragraph you find more tips of how to keep your willpower strong.
Find out HOW to follow through
Even though you know your WHY – your deep desire – it can be difficult to follow through. Here is a technique, which will help you to stay on track:
Visualize your future
- Visualize the feeling of having achieved your goal. Visualize how good it feels when you have lost the unnecessary pounds, when you have quit smoking, when you have run your Mile Race without feeling totally weared out.
- Visualize the feeling of enjoying the reward you have chosen for yourself.
Make a decision
- Decide that you are going to achieve your goal, no matter what.
- Always keep your goal on your mind. This will help you to make the right decisions, the decisions which takes you one step after the other to your final goal.
Write it down
- Write down your WHY, write down your goal and write down the reward you have chosen for yourself when having achieved your goal.
- Place this agreement with yourself at different places in your home, for example on the mirror in your bathroom, on your office desk (well visible, not beneath a stack of documents) on the couchtable in your livingroom or wherever you need to be reminded the most.
Make a plan
- Write down your plan for example in your agenda.
- Write down your goal, and it is most important to terminate when you want to have achieved your final goal.
– eg. I want to lose 15 Pounds within the next 5 months. On Friday the … my weight is …. Pounds (write down the exact date). To lose 3 pounds per month is very reasonable and you’ll have a sustainable weight loss.
- Set subgoals – it’s another motivational booster to see that you come nearer and nearer to your goal.
– eg. At the end of each month I want to have lost 3 pounds.
– eg. I want to do exercises 3 times per week, at least 30 minutes each and go for a 1 hour-walk each Sunday morning
(note the exercises and other physical activities in your agenda)
- Determine at what day in the week you want to check your subgoals and note this in your calendar as well. I find Friday a good day to check my weight. On Mondays I’m mostly slightly heavier, as I do allow myself eat a bit more food and some sweets during the weekend.
- Write down your reward in capital letters
– eg. look forward to visting a MUSICAL, going to a great SPORTS EVENT, a NEW DRESS, a SPA weekend, HOLIDAY AT THE BEACH or perhaps even a NEW CAR!
Having a goal to work towards is making the difference – it makes wonders happen. Decide that you really want to succed. Always keep your goal on your mind – visualize yourself, feel the future you. Write it down, make a plan, follow the plan. Look forward to your reward, the reward you have chosen for yourself and above all look forward to a New Happy You!
By finding out WHY you want to change your lifestyle, WHAT you have to change and HOW to be able to follow through – then you have created the best conditions to succeed.
The benefit of restarting your Healthy New Year Resolutions are
that You’ll rejuvenate your body and mind,
You will feel fitter, younger and happier.
You will even live longer and extend your healthy life span.
If you like to have some more motivation and inspiration
I really recommend watching Tony Robbins’ video.
Are you longing for a change, but you feel you need more help,
here are two mindchanging programs.
They will show you sustainable weight loss strategies to transform your health
how to overcome emotional obstacles preventing you from achieving your ideal weight.
If you want to know more and/or buy these, click on the following link.
by Tony Robbins
Happy New You
If you have any questions or need some extra motivational support. Please, leave a message in the comment box below.